2009年5月27日 星期三

I shop therefore I am--Barbara Kruger


Barbara Kruger
Untitled (I shop therefore I am), 1987Photographic silkscreen/vinyl 111" by 113"



The work consists of a hand by an enlarged black and white photograph
The hand is holding a tag with a message “ I shop therefore I am” in white letters against a background of red. The tag is setting in the center of the image.This phrase is changed from the famous phrase from French philosopher Rene Descartes (1596 -1650) “I think therefore I am”.
The rectangle red block with text is overlaid set on the photograph. It attracts the viewer’s attention because the white text against the red background make it more obviously. And “I shop”, “I am” with a larger letters make stronger concept for the meaning of this design. The underneath with the black and white photograph is blurred, till can recognize that the light comes from the left side. The variation of different tones from the photograph make it not too dull and bored. The border of this image with red around the image. It is like a billboard if enlarge the size of this image. I found another design with the same image which image related to which printed on a shopping bag.

It’s also like a culture advertisement to revoke the consumer culture of the society.
The text contains criticism of the consumerism culture and implies the concept of the artist. Kruger has said that "I work with pictures and words because they have the ability to determine who we are and who we aren’t.
The hyper-consumerism of the late 20th century, the commodification of sign, and Kruger remakes the sign. Her design make me feel the flow of power about the criticism for commodification society. It’s ironic that a commercial- like image with the controversial text . It’s what she is giving the form of knowledge.

1 則留言:

  1. This is an excellent discussion of the issues in this artwork! TX

    回覆刪除